Are you hungry? It's Thursday, that means that you are likely going in to a weekend full of sunshine, brunch, pizza and various other indulgent things. I know that I am! Knowing that this kind of eating lies in my near future makes me want to nourish my body to the best of my ability in preparation. Here is what I will be eating tonight:
Brown Rice Tabbouleh
Takes approximately 30 minutes to prepare.
Ingredients for about 4 servings:
- 1 cup brown rice (1 cup when dry! Which will equal about 2 cups cooked)
- 1 small cucumber
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 medium bell pepper (I like red for color consistency, but use whichever color you please)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon (or lime...or both)
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put rice on to cook. Brown rice does not require washing like white rice does, yay! However, it does require more water - I use 1 cup rice to 2 cups water. Put that all in a pot, pop a lid on it and boil away. When most of the water has boiled off, turn the heat down to simmer until all of the water is gone. Be sure not to stir your rice while it is boiling as this will cause the bottom to burn. While simmering, make sure you keep an eye on the rice so that it does not start to burn!
- While your rice is boiling away, dice those veggies (cucumber, bell pepper, onion, tomatoes, parsley) into similar sized bits. Since we are using cherry tomatoes, I try to get everything to be a little bit smaller than the size of a halved tomato. Throw all of your diced veggies in a mixing bowl.
- Once your rice is done cooking, set it in the refrigerator to cool for 10 minutes.
- Once rice is cooled, add it to the mixing bowl of veggies. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil then mix away! If it is too dry for your taste, add more lemon juice or oil.
How to eat this: I love to eat this by itself, like a hearty salad. If you want to *beef* it up, you can add cooked lentils or crumble some feta cheese on top. Or you can add olives if that floats your boat. This will last in a jar in the fridge for 3 days tops, so maybe tomorrow you want to take that jar with you and grab some falafel balls to mix in. Maybe you even want to buy some pita and hummus and make a mediterranean wrap! I would highly suggest sticking some creamy avocados in there as well.
Want recipes like this delivered to your inbox each week? Leave your email address in the comment section below!