Remember my friends Eddie and Chris? Yea, they're good cooks, and, when my apartment is not conducive to food photography, they come to save the day. I think that if we were to share a kitchen, it would be the most perfect place in the world.
By the way, this recipe is actually a double. All of you folks with juicers out there, you can do a happy dance. For Eddie and Chris have a golden juice recipe for you AND they have devised a fantastic way to save all the juice pulp from the compost bin. Now your dinner dollars can stretch just a little bit further. Huzzah! Don't fret, though, my non juicing friends. You can definitely still make this soup. Or, bribe your juicey friends for their pulp maybe?
Also, dearest vegans, though Eddie and Chris' soup is not compliant, there are some easy, cruelty free, alternatives. Parmesan can easily be omitted or replaced with nutritional yeast, while butter can be replaced with olive oil. Vegan viola!
Without further adieu, please enjoy this double recipe by Eddie and Chris!
Happy Morning Turmeric Tonic
Prep time: 5 minutes. Juice time: 10 minutes.
Ingredients for about 10 servings
- 1.5 lbs ginger root
- 1 lbs turmeric root
- 2-4 lemons (depending on how sour you feel)
- 1 orange (optional)
- Chop your ingredients into juicer appropriate chunks.
- Juice away!
- Save the pulp. If you aren't cooking with it immediately, it will last in the fridge for a few days, but can also be frozen indefinitely (keep in mind that this will reduce the flavor somewhat).
- We suggest you drink this first thing in the morning. Mix 1 part Tonic with 2 parts water or coconut water. It will make you poop and feel energized and happy before you start your day!
Carrot, Ginger & Turmeric Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes. Cook time: 35 minutes.
Ingredients for about 4 servings:
- 8 carrots
- ½ large yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ cup ginger/turmeric pulp (from Happy Morning Turmeric Tonic! Or, substitute with 1 inch piece each ginger root and turmeric root)
- 2 tsp veggie bouillon
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ T dried basil
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ T butter
- 8 cups warm water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut onion and carrots into ½ inch pieces and rough chop garlic cloves.
- Melt butter in a large pot and add chopped onions. Cook on high, stirring often, until slightly translucent.
- Add chopped carrots and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and cover the pot with a lid.
- Combine veggie bouillon with water and set aside.
- The ginger/turmeric pulp from our Happy Morning Turmeric Tonic can be substituted with a 1-inch piece of fresh ginger and a 1-inch piece of fresh turmeric. If using fresh ginger and turmeric, chop into small pieces.
- Add ginger/turmeric along with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper, and dried basil to the pot. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add water/bouillon mixture to the pot. Turn heat to high until it boils, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, transfer content to a blender to puree the soup. You may need to do this a few times, depending on the size of your blender, as well as using a second pot to hold the pureed soup. Once everything has been blended, return to one single pot.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Taste and add more salt or pepper, if needed.