It may look time consuming, but this hearty soup is mostly waiting around for things to cook themselves. While you wait you can clean up your apartment, answer a few emails, call your mom, or bake a cake. Whatever you do during that wonderful waiting/cooking time, it will be worth the effort because this soup really does come out golden and it smells heavenly. The simply filling ingredients are perfect for keeping your spirits and energy up in the wintertime, and the marriage of Indian spices with Asian condiments is downright magical.
This pot of gold is as good for an intimate dinner party as it is for an evening spent with a book in hand and a cat on your lap. It's excellent, too, because it's mostly made from ingredients that I like to keep well-stocked in my kitchen. During these months between fall harvests and spring greenery, the challenge is always to simultaneously use up and make interesting the most basic of basic ingredients - namely potatoes and root vegetables. Some of the most beautiful meals are born of simplicity and necessity; this glowing soup is just that. Born of humble ingredients which, when dressed up with a few savory powerhouses, throw down some serious flavor and nutrition.
Golden Vegetable Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes. Cook time: 60 - 90 minutes.
Ingredients for about 6 servings (so you can enjoy it all week long!):
- 2 cups yellow or brown potatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed or minced
- 2 heaping spoonfuls of miso paste (yellow or red miso work best)
- 1 heaping tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- salt & pepper
- Coat the bottom of a wide, deep pot with olive oil. Add potatoes, salt, and pepper then stir until the potatoes are coated in oil. Cook on medium heat with the lid on, stirring once every few minutes to unstick potatoes from the bottom of the pot.
- After about 5 minutes, add onions and garlic. Stir.
- When you can chop a potato chunk in half with the edge of a wooden spoon, add carrots, celery, turmeric, curry powder, and more salt and pepper. Stir.
- Cook with the lid on for 10 minutes, or until all the veggies are fairly soft. Add broth, water, soy sauce/liquid aminos and miso paste.
- Bring everything up to a boil, then stir and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for at least 10 minutes and up to an hour - the longer the simmer the deeper the flavor, but it's already going to be pretty damn good.
- Serve with parsley, a spritz of lime, and a splash of hot sauce.
*If you want to really bulk up this soup, you can add pre-cooked lentils and rice when you turn everything down to a simmer. Perfect for a snow day!