*This post was generously sponsored by Dollar Tea Club. I received a fee and free product in exchange for creating original recipes and original photography with and inspired by their teas. All opinions are, as always, honestly mine.*
It is officially the height of summer and I am dreaming of of the beach. Not just any beach but a soft sanded paradise with calm blue water, brilliant sunsets, and tropical fruits galore. This is my fantasy, OK? In New York it's strange, you sort of feel like you live in a tropical climate but instead of a jungle there's an island full of concrete and trash surrounding you. It's just not the same. So I reach for whatever can bring me to a more natural place, a simpler type of island with electric hues and pineapples and coconuts everywhere. I imagine myself waking up to the sound of birds and insects buzzing, taking a dip in the clear ocean, and then sitting down under the morning sun to enjoy a bowl of bright, healthy breakfast. This tropical chia pudding is exactly what belongs in that bowl.
I'm not a huge fan of simple chia pudding but the infusion of mango tea and creamy coconut milk turns the texture and flavor experience into a whole new thing. The mango and coconut on their own were truly amazing, but I decided that this vegan breakfast needed a bit more sunshine to it. Enter turmeric, a spice that feels fortifying to my immune system, soothing to my stomach, and exciting to my eyes. Turmeric is guaranteed to stain anything it touches with the purest golden sunshiney yellow, and in a mango coconut chia pudding, it imparts a tang of earth and salt. The combination of this with the sweetness of mango and richness of coconut milk is quite delectable. Give it a try yourself, you'll see.
You can use any mango tea for this recipe, but if you want to try Dollar Tea Club's (DTC) Tropical Mango tea blend, you can take 15% off your first order with the code SLVX. All of DTC's tea blends are direct trade, meaning they are sourced straight from the growers whom DTC's founders have been working and building relationships with for over 30 years. All teas are sourced seasonally, with fruit and herbal ingredients grown and mixed in Europe, which ensures that all growers must follow the European Union Pesticide Restrictions.
Vegan Chia Pudding with Mango, Coconut and Turmeric
Prep time: 10 minutes. Wait time: 1 hour.
Ingredients for about two servings:
- 1.5 cups mango-flavored tea (I used Tropical Mango loose leaf tea from Dollar Tea Club - take 15% off your first order of teas with code SLVX)
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp chia
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- toppings of choice (fruits, nuts, dried fruits or coconut, granola, chocolate chips are all excellent choices)
- Brew tea and let steep for 3-5 minutes.
- While tea is steeping, measure out chia seeds, turmeric, and coconut milk.
- Combine all ingredients (except for the toppings) and stir to incorporate completely.
- Cover with a cloth and wait for at least one hour and up to 24.
- Serve in some kind of delightful vessel and top with delicious toppings of choice.
All images by Faye Lessler.