A rich, creamy base of sweet potatoes is enhanced by earthy carrots and zinging ginger. Top it all off with a smooth coconut cream, crunchy croutons and a sprinkle of herbaceous parsley for the ultimate winter remedy. This beautifully balanced soup is sure to cure your winter blues, your head cold, and your aching heart. OK, it might not cure you, but it will provide some comfort!
Sweet Carrot Ginger Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes. Cook time: 30 minutes.
Ingredients for about 6 servings:
- 1 cup sweet potato, skinned and diced
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- about an inch long/wide nob of ginger root
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tbsp ginger powder (if only using ginger powder and no root, add 2 tbsp)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- salt & pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. When glistening, add sweet potatoes, carrots and onions. Season liberally with salt & pepper then stir until all vegetables are lightly coated in oil. Cook on medium heat with the lid on for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning or sticking.
- Add garlic and ginger. Stir then cook on low with the lid on for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft enough to easily poke in half with the edge of a wooden spoon.
- Add vegetable broth and water, stir. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let cook with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- Using a pitcher blender (I use a Vitamix Professional Series 500) or an immersion blender, blend the entire pot until smooth. Return soup to the pot, bring back up to a boil then return to a simmer.
- Add coconut milk, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with an extra drizzle of coconut milk and chopped parsley. Croutons make an excellent addition if you've got them.