Apart from tasting amazing and adding gorgeous color to any meal, sweet potatoes are known for having plenty of potassium, vitamin c, manganese, and beta-carotenes. These fun nutrients are great for boosting your body's immune system as well as regulating blood sugar and pressure. Coupled with fiber and complex carbohydrates that keep you fuller for longer, sweet potatoes are an excellent choice for vegetarians looking to get healthy.
Add as many of the listed spices as you can get your hands on to these crispy wedges, as turmeric, ginger and cayenne pepper are all fantastic for boosting immunity and warming you up from the inside out.
There are any number of options for dipping sauces if you need one. Try an avocado-yogurt mixture, blend some tahini with lemon juice, add sriracha to mayonnaise, or simply grab some ketchup from the fridge.
Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 15 - 40 minutes.
Ingredients for about 2 servings:
- 3 medium to large sweet potatoes, skins on, washed
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 400* Fahrenheit.
- Lengthwise, slice sweet potatoes in half, then cut three or four big wedges from each half.
- In a bowl, toss the rest of the ingredients with the potato wedges until all are coated in oil and spices.
- Spread wedges on a baking sheet, leaving plenty of room for each wedge to breathe. Bake for 15 - 40 minutes or until you can poke through the thickest part of a wedge with a fork with just the crispy skin to get in your way. This timing will vary greatly depending on your oven. Be sure to keep an eye on things after 10 minutes have passed, and don't be afraid to shake or rearrange the pan to make sure all the wedges get crisped evenly.